Saturday, March 29, 2008

Binding Blunder

You know, I really have to make more quilts at a quicker pace. Today I cut the binding for Ashley's quilt. I have samples of everything to do with quilting that I don't do on a regular basis. One is double fold binding, the other is a sample that shows how you join the two tails at the end of the binding. I digress. I followed the cutting sample and cut my binding 2 3/4" because that is what was written on the sample. I get all of the strips cut, joined and ironed in half. I begin to sew it to the quilt and notice that it looks like it is going to be too big. Ah, yeah. I don't know where I got that measurement from but I was sewing it on with a 1/4" seam. When I went to fold it over, I had waaaaay too much width in the binding. Grrrr. Thank goodness I noticed it before I attached the entire binding to the quilt. I had only sewn a couple of inches, so it was no problem to take it out. So, to make a long story short, I guess I feel as though I wouldn't encounter these types of problems if I could make quilts at a quicker pace and thus remember these important little tidbits of information.

1 comment:

That Christine said...

That is pretty wide for binding. You probably could have done the binding and the pillow case. Isn't hind sight always 20/20?