Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Celebration of Life

One year ago today I had my hysterectomy. The doctors found stage 3 ovarian cancer. It was everywhere. Without going into a lot of gross detail, it was a very involved surgery and a very long recovery time. Then came 5 months of chemotherapy and a PET Scan. Today I am in remission and a survivor. So, today I celebrate my life. A year ago they could have opened me up, closed me back up and said, "sorry, there is nothing we can do". But, that didn't happen. I had wonderful doctors and even better, family and friends who kept my spirits up when I had no more to give. A year later, I feel blessed, for a truly full life. Truth be known, 50% of ovarian cancer patients will relapse within 5 years. Even if that happens to me, I can promise you that I will have no regrets, as I am living a celebration of life and each passing day is more precious than the previous day. Is the glass half empty or half full? My glass is full, as is my life. Speaking of which, this calls for a strawberry margarita.....Oh waiter....

No comments: