Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Aloha

Tonight Jack and I went to a potluck dinner at Gilda's Club. I usually try to make a meat dish as those are usually in short supply. I decided to make something called "waikiki meatballs". You use the usual meatball mixture, but the sauce is made with vinegar, pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar and cornstarch for thickener. They were really good...as far as meatballs go.

Today my friend brought me some quilt books with patterns for baby quilts. I want to make a quilt for my neighbor's son and daughter-in-law who are having a baby. I know this is going to sound terrible, but I want to make a quilt that looks really nice but doesn't involve a lot of effort. I love making quilts, and these people are very special, but you know, if you are a quilter, that most people don't have a clue how to take care of a handmade item. They figure they can throw it in the wash with all the rest of their clothes and then dry it on high. Then they casually mention how they can't figure out why it is falling apart...almost insinuating that you did a crappy job making it. And yes, I could buy them a blanket and I'm sure it would be very nice, but that wouldn't be giving them a part of me, of who I am and how special they are to me. I just hope they don't ask me if I kept the gift receipt!

No comments: