Friday, April 18, 2008

Always Learning

The Beep Beep wall hanging is almost done. However, there was a change in plans. Today I decided to forego the sandwiching, pinning and binding. I opted to instead "birth" as Eleanor Burns calls it. This refers to the technique where you put your batting down first, place your backing next (right side up) and then place your top, front side down. You then sew around your top, leaving a portion of a side open so that you can turn the project inside out. It worked wonderfully. I did a line of stitching 1/4 inch from the outside and another one 1/4 of an inch from the inside border. I also shadow quilted around the entire figure.

Okay, so here is what I learned, because frankly, I am always learning. If I ever do this project again, I would change my stitch length. When doing small pieces like the hands, the stitching almost overpowered the piece. I also need to find a better stabilizer. I used Stitch 'N Tear. This would have been okay if I had been satin stitching, but I was using a blanket stitch. It was a bear to remove without distorting the stitches. Also, I used my zipper foot to shadow stitch around the entire applique piece. It worked great! It gave me just the right look. I used monofilament thread.

One more thing that came to my attention. While at the quilt show in Chicago last weekend, my girlfriend and I stopped in the Superior Threads booth. They have this gorgeous line of threads called Rainbows. It is this yummy varigated thread with the most beautiful combinations of colors. However, my Pfaff HATES this thread. I have used it in the past with horrible consequences. So, I decide to discuss it with the Superior thread man. He tells me it's not my Pfaff, but the needle I am using. He shows me on the spool how it says "use topstitch 90 needle". I tell him, "I don't remember seeing that on my other spools". Guess what? It isn't on my other spools. I checked tonight. And, the quilt store that I bought these from has only been in business for 3 years, so the threads are rather current. Gotta wonder if the company had a few complaints. In any case, I did use the topstitch 90 needle and it worked like a charm! Thank goodness because I have a drawer full of this stuff...lol...

All that is left is to hand sew the opening closed on the bottom and sign my name on the back. YIPPEE!

No comments: