Thursday, December 6, 2007

Snowglobe Cards

Besides quilting, I have a few other hobbies. One of them being handmade cards. In October I decided to see if I could create a card a month for one year. October was a Halloween card, November was a Thanksgiving card, so of course, December's card is for Christmas. Mind you, I am creating 12 of the same cards. I also got the brainy idea to try a new technique each month. December's card is a snowglobe. This one was a bit tricky. I first had to figure out how many layers I needed to get the effect I wanted to achieve. The bottom layer is the card. Next comes a piece of fun foam with a hole cut in it (for the snowglobe). Now comes the fun part. You sprinkle confetti in the hole. My confetti was mini red reindeer, mini green trees and glittery snow. Then you top the entire piece of fun foam with a piece of clear acetate. Over the top of that goes a piece of decorative paper (same size as the fun foam and also containing a hole). Lastly, you glue the snowglobe base (stamped and cut out of cardstock) on top of the decorative paper. Voila, you have a snowglobe that you can shake the daylights out of! The card turned out great, but seemed a little plain, so I added glitter to portions of the base. I have 3 more to make and then I can hit the post office. Now this was a challenging but fun project!

No comments: