Sunday, October 17, 2010

I HATE Mending




I guess because I am a quilter, people assume you must also like to mend. WRONG! I hate mending. Oh I do it, mostly out of necessity, but that doesn't mean I like it.


Last year, when our dog was a puppy (and in the chewing-everything-stage), she chewed a hole in this pillowcase. I just couldn't bear to throw it out, just because the fabric was so cute. I thought I could replace just the fabric panel that she chewed. Of course not, that would have been too simple. I had more of the fabric. Unfortunately, it was 3/4 " short of what I needed. That meant I needed to replace both sides of the pillowcase. So, as long as I am "unsewing", I decided I would take it back to the point where I could serge all the edges.


I am hoping the dog is out of her "chewing stage", because I really hate mending!

4 comments:

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

asking a quilter to mend is LIKE asking Picaso to paint the garage! :)

Cindy said...

I agree mending isn't my thing either. Why is it just because you quilt people assume oh here you can make this garment for me. Ahhhh no I can't. I don't like or enjoy sewing garments or mending. I'm really not somewhere you can just go ahead and drop those items off for me to do. I'm glad she's past the chewing stage, we didn't go through that one thank goodness.

Linda C said...

Karen, I left a reply to your questions about Pat's wallhanging on my blog if you want to slip back over there. No reply blogger won't let me answer you directly.

And I am with you---mending stinks! Of course my husband thinks I can fix anything just because I can sew. It would be far easier to make a pair of slacks from the start than fix his pockets or waistband problems. UGH! I am repeatedly telling him I don't do buttons either---but he can see them sewn on some of my projects, LOL. I should say that I don't WANT to sew them on clothing!

thatchristine.blogspot.com said...

I know where you are coming from on this one.